Dreamworld: Australia theme park under fire from victims’ families

Dreamworld: Australia theme park under fire from victims’ families October 27, 2016

The owners of Australia’s Dreamworld have been criticised for not directly contacting the families of the four people killed on one of its rides.

Ardent Leisure’s CEO told a news briefing the company had offered “every assistance we can” to the families.

But the family of two of the victims sent a text to a reporter in the briefing, who said they were “furious” at the claim.

The park will reopen on Friday for a memorial, but its future is unclear.

The two women and two men died when their raft on the Thunder River Rapids ride collided with another and flipped over.

he victims have been named as Kate Goodchild, 32, her brother Luke Dorsett, 35, Mr Dorsett’s partner, Roozbeh Araghi, 38, and Cindy Low, a 42-year-old New Zealand citizen who lived in Sydney.

A 10-year-old boy and a 12-year-old girl, who media reports say were related to the victims, were also on the raft. They were thrown free and survived.

Dreamworld: Who were the victims?

In the emotionally charged news briefing in Sydney, Ardent chief Deborah Thomas said the company had “finally made contact with the Dorsett family” to offer assistance.

But Ten News reporter Melinda Nucifora told Ms Thomas the Dorsett family were watching on TV and had texted to say they were “furious” at the suggestion.

“They say that they’ve had no direct contact whatsoever. No one’s even reached out to them,”

Ms Thomas clarified her comments to say the company had been in touch through police, but had not spoken directly to the family “because we didn’t know how to contact them” and asked for their phone number.

The visibly emotional executive finished the news conference by addressing the family directly, to give her “sincere sympathies for what you must be going through”.

“Our hearts and our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time. And I will be calling you to see what assistance we can offer you.”

‘Catastrophic event’

Earlier, Ardent had defended the theme park’s safety record.

“Prior to Tuesday, there has never been a death at the park due to a ride incident,” the company said in a statement.

Ardent said the Thunder River Rapids ride had undergone its annual mechanical and safety inspection on 29 September and that details would be given to the authorities.

Legal commentators have already speculated that Ardent’s directors could face serious legal consequences.

“Cases like this generally aren’t just freak accidents, it’s generally a series of events or something has actually gone wrong to result in such a significant catastrophic event,” Brisbane-based personal injury lawyer Alison Barrett told the Australian Broadcasting Corp.

“If Dreamworld is prosecuted, the highest penalty is up to A$3 million (£1.9m; $2.2) for a corporation. So Dreamworld itself, and then the directors themselves can also be held personally liable and face up to five years in jail and other hefty penalties.”


Worst amusement park accidents

  • Eight teenagers were killed in a 1984 fire at the Six Flags Great Adventure amusement park in New Jersey, US. Arsonists are believed to have started the blaze
  • Six people died in a failed simulated rocket launch in Shenzhen, China, in 2010. One of the cars on the centrifuge ride became loose, lost power and the ride fell to the ground in flames with 44 people inside
  • Five children were killed when the Battersea Park Big Dipper malfunctioned in the UK in 1972. Rope hauling cars to the top of launch slope broke and a safety mechanism failed, causing cars to roll into the boarding area
  • Three died at the Galaxyland Amusement Park in Alberta, Canada, in 1986. The last car of a four-car train on the Mindbender triple loop ride came away from the track, throwing off passengers before crashing into a concrete pillar
  • One person died in a rollercoaster accident at Expoland in Osaka, Japan, in 2007; another was killed at the Darien Lake theme park in New York State, US, in 2011
  • Sixteen people – including two teenage girls who needed leg amputations – were injured at UK’s Alton Towers park in 2015. Engineers failed to notice a stationary car on the 14-loop Smiler ride and overrode the stop mechanism, sending the next car into it
Loading...

No Comments so far

Jump into a conversation

No Comments Yet!

You can be the one to start a conversation.

Only registered users can comment.